BY: Richard W. Humphrey
* Late Thursday, the Rays finally announced that Matt Moore (1-0, 2.89) will be their game one starting pitcher. Moore is generally considered the top minor league pitching prospect in baseball. He was called up in September and appeared in three games. One was a start against the Yankees on September 22 in which he threw five shutout innings, striking out 11. He has pitched just 9-1/3rd innings in the Major Leagues. He will oppose C. J. Wilson (16-7, 2.94).
* Playoff rosters aren’t due until 9:00 AM Friday morning, but Ranger manager Ron Washington indicated that he will go with 11 pitchers (four starters and seven relievers) and 14 position players. Texas will add a third catcher – Matt Treanor. Alexi Ogando is the starting pitcher that will join the bullpen.
* The Rays also indicated they will go with an 11 man pitching staff and add a third catcher.
* Game two starters are James Shields (16-12, 2.82) for the Rays facing Derek Holland (16-5, 3.95). Saturday’s game time is 6:07 PM. All games in the series will be televised on TBS.
* Adrian Beltre was named American League Player of the Month for September. He hit .379 for the month with 12 home runs and 23 RBIs in 21 games.